Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sirloin Steak with Fingerling Potatoes and Sauteed Spinach

Bottom sirloin is a tougher cut of beef that benefits from a low and slow cooking method like braising.  While there's nothing more comforting than a dish braised for hours, I started dabbling with a pressure cooker a few months ago (I highly recommend the Fagor Duo from Spain) to cut down the cooking time dramatically and get similar results.  This dish is a take on Beef Bourguignone.  I first seared the steaks with salt and pepper, then I finished it off in the pressure cooker in a braising liquid of carrots, onions, garlic, red wine vinegar, fresh rosemary and TJ's beef broth.  After 45 minutes I strained the braising liquid into my fat separator and reduced it for 10 minutes.  For the sides, I sauteed some fresh spinach with olive oil, garlic, crushed red chile flakes and lemon juice, and I also roasted off some fingerling potatoes in a cast-iron skillet with salt, pepper and olive oil.  

1 comment:

  1. Pressure cooking has changed your life! I like the way you stacked the potatoes in a little tower. Nice presentation.

    ReplyDelete