Friday, June 29, 2012

Heirloom Caprese Salad

I went out for a Westside food excursion, which brought me to the Saturday Santa Monica Farmer's Market on Pico.  I prefer this one to the one on the Promenade because it is smaller and easier to get in and out of, plus you don't have to dodge a procession of high-end strollers to get to the Valencia oranges.  Heirloom tomatoes are back in season, so I was inspired to make a simple Caprese salad.  I then headed over to Bay Cities Deli -- yuppie hell on a Saturday afternoon -- where I picked up some fresh mozzarella (along with my lunch) and hightailed it home.  Frankly, there isn't too much to this one; it's just sliced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese with salt and pepper.  Instead of basil leaves, I made a straightforward, Genovese-style pesto with basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic and Parmesan cheese, which I served on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment