Saturday, June 16, 2012

Pan Seared Salmon and Couscous

I generally prefer Atlantic salmon, but the wild Sockeye looked too good to pass up, so I pan seared it and served it on a bed of couscous jazzed up with grape tomatoes and bacon, finished off with a drizzle of California olive oil.  In retrospect, I should have presented it skin side up, since I achieved a near perfect crisp on that side, which was somewhat lost sitting directly on the couscous.  The couscous was decent, with the smokiness of the bacon playing well off the acidity of the tomatoes.  I am really trying to walk a fine line between serving the best tasting plate of food possible and making something that looks good for the camera, and finding that balance makes you appreciate the difference between the humble home chef like myself and the pros.  Just a brief sidebar on the olive oil: California is now producing high-quality olive oil that rivals its Spanish and Mediterranean counterparts, so give it a try.   

1 comment:

  1. LOVED the strips of bacon hidden in the cous cous; I could've eaten that for days.

    ReplyDelete