Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Coconut Panna Cotta

Coconut has had a special place in my heart ever since I had my first Almond Joy as a kid, and I will usually take a simple, palate cleansing dessert over something decadent and over the top.  Panna cotta is about as simple and palate cleansing as it gets, I figured that I couldn't go wrong with combining it with coconut.  Any legitimate panna cotta is measured by its smooth, silky texture, and the trick is getting the ratios right, particularly the gelatin.  Too much gelatin and you will get mom's jello.  Too little and it's soup for dessert.  I made this version using a 2-1 ratio of heavy cream and coconut milk, sugar, vanilla and powdered gelatin, simmered for a few minutes and chilled in ramekins overnight, then served the next day with a mandarin orange garnish.  I am my own toughest critic, but I have to say that I completely nailed the texture this time around, and the flavors were well balanced, not too sweet.

1 comment:

  1. EB is now a fan of coconut panna cotta. She kept asking for more.

    ReplyDelete