Sunday, June 24, 2012

Breakfast Skillet Hash

My introduction to corned beef hash was, like for most of us, that nasty stuff out of the can from back in the day.  Remember those sad, mushy potatoes and gristly mystery meat?  I still loved it, and I order it anytime I see it at a legit breakfast joint.  Sadly, this means that I don't have it all that often, but as they say, if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.  This version is made from potatoes, bell peppers, onion and garlic, browned in a cast-iron skillet with breakfast sausage.  I made the sausage from scratch with ground pork, toasted fennel seed, crushed red chili flakes, garlic and salt and browned it separately before combining everything.  I kicked it up a notch by cracking eggs over the top and finishing it off in a 350-degree oven.  Breaking those yolks and seeing it ooze into the hash was a thing of beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment