Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Negroni

The Negroni is on the short list of all-time classic cocktails, right up there with the Martini, Old Fashioned and Tom Collins, and it meets my rule of no more than 3 ingredients in a drink.  Made with equal parts Campari, gin and sweet vermouth, then shaken and served on the rocks, it is usually finished off with an orange slice or twist for garnish.  Unfortunately, I was out of oranges, so this version was a bit incomplete.  This drink, and Campari in general, is definitely an acquired taste.  What makes it work is the balance of the bitterness of the Campari, the floral notes of the gin and the sweetness of the vermouth.  Just a warning for the novice drinkers out there: this is not a fruity drink, despite the Kool-Aid like appearance.  

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, I won't mistake it for a Sea Breeze. I'll have to try this! Btw, some of my serious scotch drinker friends are putting me through a basic scotch knowledge course...it's very gratifying!

    ReplyDelete