Sunday, October 28, 2012

Shrimp Cake

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like a good crab cake.  The problem is that the only ones worth having are in Maryland, and if you haven't had an authentic jumbo lump crab cake from there, then you're missing out on a religious experience.  I did my take on one using roughly chopped shrimp in place of crab meat.  I added to the shrimp an egg white, fresh bread crumbs, Old Bay, smoked paprika, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper and formed them into cakes before letting them chill in the fridge for a bit.  I then seared both sides in a cast iron pan with some canola oil and butter and finished them off in the oven.  I also made a dipping sauce with mayo, lemon juice and more smoked paprika.  I have to say that this is one of the best things I've ever made, and I would put it up against any crab cake west of the Potomac.  The shrimp was pretty close in texture to jumbo lump crab meat, and there was just enough binder to hold it together without getting in the way of the shrimp.  The kicker was the lemon juice in the dipping sauce, which cut right through the richness of the cake.         

No comments:

Post a Comment