Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Shepherd's Pie

L.A. is a great food town, but we just don't have good pubs like they do on the East Coast (and Europe, where it all began).  So I took matters into my own hands and made an English pub classic, Shepherd's Pie.  The key to this dish is to salt every component liberally, or you will end up with a bland product.  Usually made with lamb or kidneys, I went with ground sirloin.  First I sauteed chopped leeks, carrots and garlic, and then I browned the beef in a Dutch oven.  I then made a pan gravy by adding some AP flour, chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce, and I stirred in some peas.  I finished it off by pouring the meat and veg mixture into a baking dish, layering the mashed potatoes (made with Russet potatoes, half and half and an egg stirred in at the end to promote browning) on top and putting into an oven for about 30 minutes, with the final 5 minutes under the broiler to brown the potatoes.  I let it rest for about 15 minutes before serving to let it firm up.  All I needed to complete the meal was a pint of Guinness!   

1 comment:

  1. and the only other thing we needed was to eat it in an actual pub! bummer.

    ReplyDelete