Monday, October 22, 2012

Cacio e Pepe

I was in the mood for fresh pasta, so I broke out my food processor and whipped up some pasta dough with flour, eggs, salt and olive oil.  I know that any Italian grandmother would cringe at the thought of using a food processor to make pasta dough, but many professional chefs use this method.  After kneading and resting the dough, I rolled it out into sheets and cut it into somewhere between a linguini and fettuccine.  I wanted a simple preparation to go with it, so I made cacio e pepe, a Roman specialty.  What makes this dish so special, and difficult to nail, is its simplicity.  There are just 4 ingredients: pasta, Pecorino cheese, copious amounts of fresh cracked black pepper and some pasta water.  I boiled the pasta in salted water and then drained and combined it with the cheese, water and pepper until it formed a sauce that coated the pasta.  Another few grinds of pepper on top (you should be able to really taste the heat), and it was ready.  This was my first time making it, so it was by no means perfect (the sauce could've been smoother), but it was still pretty darn tasty and comforting.  Note: this dish traditionally is made with spaghetti.  

4 comments:

  1. I could try variations of your cacio e pepe forever. They're all yummy! I liked this version because the noodles had a nice gummy/mochi-like quality that made for a nice bite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calling pasta "gummy" is not a compliment :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant it as a compliment, honey! Perhaps I should've just said 'al dente' lol

    ReplyDelete