Friday, November 9, 2012

Ribs

If I were on death row, ribs would be one of the main courses of my last meal.  St. Louis style, no sauce please, Mr. Warden.  Ribs are actually a pretty foolproof thing to make.  All it takes is liberal seasoning and slow cooking at a very low temperature.  I've made them a million ways, but this time I went a dry rub inspired by Southwest and Mediterranean flavors - smoked paprika, fennel seed, coriander seed, mustard seed, cumin seed, black peppercorns, salt and garlic powder (all of the seeds were ground in my spice grinder).  Into a 220 degree oven on a wire rack over a baking sheet with some apple cider vinegar and water in the bottom, and it was ready to go about 6 hours later.  The fresh ground spices really popped, and the ribs were falling off the bone tender.   

3 comments:

  1. why apple cider vinegar with the water??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will give off some flavor, but it is mainly to keep the ribs from drying out in the oven.

      Delete
    2. interesting. learn something new every day. i will not likely be making ribs though - 6 hours is about 4 hours too long for me to make anything. :)

      Delete