Saturday, December 8, 2012

Chili Con Carne

I made my first batch of chili when I was in college, and I've experimented with dozens of different variations since then.  What I've learned after all these years is to ditch the exotic spice mixes and go with classic American chili powder.  I also like to buy a chuck roast and have the butcher grind it so I know I am getting the freshest possible ground beef.  I browned the beef with chopped onions and garlic in my pressure cooker, then added the chili powder, smoked paprika, stewed tomatoes, bay leaf and water (beef broth or a dark beer would work just as well).  After about 35 minutes in the pressure cooker, I took off the lid and stirred in a can of pinto beans and roasted green chiles and left it on the burner for another 5 minutes to bring everything together.  I served it garnished with  shredded sharp cheddar cheese and diced onions, with a side of Fritos for crunch factor.     

No comments:

Post a Comment