Monday, December 17, 2012

House Cured Salmon

Cured salmon can be intimidating to the novice, but once you try it at home you will realize how easy it is to make, and you will never go back to that sad, vacuum-sealed pouch in the supermarket deli section (or the Jewish deli, for that matter).  All it takes is a mixture of equal parts sugar and salt and several grinds of black pepper.  I poured the mixture over a piece of fresh salmon in a baking dish.  I set some fresh dill on top and a drizzle of Aquavit (a Scandinavian, rye-based spirit).  Next, I covered the fish with some plastic wrap and set a bag of dried beans on top to press down on it.  Into the fridge for 2-3 hours, then I poured off the liquid that accumulated in the dish, rinsed off the fish, then sliced it thinly at an angle.  I paired it with cream cheese and bagels (I kicked up the cream cheese by adding chopped dill).  Note: if you don't have any Aquavit, you can use vodka or gin, or you can omit the booze altogether. 

1 comment:

  1. Only 2-3 hours of curing? How long will this keep in the fridge? "fresh salmon" like the kind you can get at costco? like a whole side of salmon?

    ReplyDelete