Thursday, August 16, 2012

Oven Fried Chicken

My cooking inspiration usually comes from something I read or see on tv.  I recently read that the secret to KFC's spice mix is coriander, which was surprising, so I had to try my own take on it.  I learned the technique of oven frying a few years ago, and it is really fool proof - perfectly fried, crispy results with little hassle or mess to clean up, plus you don't need gallons of oil.  So I first prepped the chicken (thighs) by dipping it in a egg wash and then dredging it in a mixture of AP flour, fresh ground coriander, paprika and granulated garlic.  In the meantime, I preheated the oven to 350 with a baking sheet and a shallow coating of canola oil inside to get it screaming hot.  Once I finished dusting my chicken, I set it on the tray - you should hear an immediate sizzle when it hits the tray - and baked it for a little over an hour, turning it a couple of times until it was golden brown.  I have to say that the coriander really did remind me of KFC, but my version was not greasy or gristly at all.  On the side, I steamed some fresh corn on the cob that I picked up at the farmer's market last weekend and paired it with a Mexican and Cape Cod-inspired dipping sauce made of mayo, lime juice and Old Bay seasoning.  As I was eating this meal, I felt like I was at a summer picnic in the South.    

         

No comments:

Post a Comment