Sunday, July 8, 2012

Braised Oxtail

I'm no expert when it comes to Korean food, but I'm pretty sure oxtail was first used in peasant dishes because it was cheap and accessible.  Now that nose to tail eating is trendy, this formerly worthless cut costs $6.99 a pound.  Same thing happened to short ribs once they went mainstream.  Anyway, I bit the bullet and picked some up the Ktown Galleria and broke out the pressure cooker.  This time I went with an Asian-style braising liquid made of soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, Sambal, white onion, scallion, garlic and pear.  After about an hour in the pressure cooker (I browned them first), I strained and reduced the liquid for a nice sauce/glaze and served everything on top of a bed of mashed potatoes garnished with some more scallion for color and crunch.  The meat was falling off the bone like ox jelly out of a jar!  What does everyone think of this one?

6 comments:

  1. You're funny. Who is 'everyone'? JK JK. I thought it was perfect. Anyone who doesn't love oxtail is missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant 'everything' but I think you meant to say 'everyone.' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, copy editor. I incorporated your revisions.

      Delete
  3. That's 'Mrs. Copy Editor' to you, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing, but I will not get a pressure cooker. I need you to make for me, please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok. gotta look up "sambal"
    and what do you mean by "reduce"? did you simmer the liquid longer to make it more saucey?

    ReplyDelete