Saturday, January 26, 2013

Tempura Cod and Chips

I bought a whole black cod today and decided to make a Japanese version of the English pub classic, fish and chips.  I skinned and filleted the fish (and made a fish stock for a rainy day from the bones and head) and dipped it in a tempura-style batter made with AP flour, club soda and an egg before deep frying it in canola oil.  I did the same thing for the fries, which were hand-cut Russet potatoes, and I also made my own tartar sauce with mayo, chopped pickles, lemon juice and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.  I drained everything on a wire rack and seasoned with sea salt while hot before serving with some lemon wedges on the side along with the tartar sauce.  Both fish and chips turned out super crispy on the outside (not greasy at all) and moist on the inside.  Sure, the house smelled like a H. Salt afterwards, but it was totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment