Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Skirt Steak with Corn and Anaheim Chili Salsa

The hot weather has kept me out of the kitchen of late, but I decided to fire up the stove for this Mexican-inspired dish.  I rubbed the skirt steak with canola oil, paprika and cumin and seared it in a cast-iron pan, then let it rest and sliced it against the grain to ensure tenderness.  For the salsa, I roasted two Anaheim chiles under the broiler and then peeled and chopped them.  I also broiled some fresh corn on the cob and gave it a little extra color by turning it directly over the burner for a few seconds, then sliced off the kernels into a bowl. I assembled the salsa by combining the chiles and corn with diced onion, lime juice and S&P.  The Anaheim chiles were a bit hotter than I expected, but the heat was offset by the lime juice.  The steak was a tad overdone for my taste; it was probably fine when I took it off the heat to rest, but the carryover took it past medium rare.  Overall though, I was pleased with the flavors and the presentation. 

1 comment: